Rights & Obligations of the Recognized Regional Apex Bodies
Rights of the Regional Apex Bodies
- The SAARC Regional Apex Bodies will be entitled to use
SAARC nomenclature and logo.
- Regional Apex Bodies may be invited as guests to open
inaugural and closing sessions of Summits, Council of
Ministers and other Ministerial Meetings, in accordance with
the procedure enumerated by the Fifth Special Session of the
- Presidents, Vice Presidents, Secretaries-General and the
Executive Committee Members of the SAARC Apex Bodies, and
their spouses and dependent children under the age of 18,
are entitled to SAARC Vice Exemption Sticker.
Obligations of the Regional Apex Bodies
- Regional Apex Bodies shall consist exclusively of
Members of the nationals of the Member States and their aims
and purposes should be in conformity with the spirit,
purpose and principle of SAARC Chapter.
- Regional Apex Bodies should have a constitution or
similar instrument. A copy of such instrument will be made
available to the SAARC Secretariat. The activities of these
organizations should be non-political and secular in
chapter. These organizations will submit their annual
progress report to the SAARC Secretariat regularly.
- Regional Apex Bodies will have an established office and
sound financial status.
- Regional Apex Bodies will hold their annual meetings to
consider the activities and programmes to which the SAARC
Secretariat General or his representative will be invited to
- The extension of the recognition to Regional Apex Bodies
will be decided by the Standing Committee after every five
years based on their performance/evaluation to be carried
our by the SAARC Secretariat.
- The activities of Regional Apex Bodies should be
relevant to the process of promoting social, economic and
cultural developments in the region as envisaged in the
- The activities/ programmes of the Regional Apex Bodies
should supplement the SAARC process and refrain from
competing with various agencies working on the issues of
common interest to the peoples of the SAARC region.
- Regional Apex Bodies will uphold their aims and
objectives, as well as identity and integrity.
- Regional Apex Bodies should maintain accountability and
- Regional Apex Bodies should ensure that funds provided
are only used for their intended purpose and are properly
- Regional Apex Bodies should have adequate and
appropriate procedure for financial review and the audit of
the accounts should be conducted annually by the panel of
independent auditors and should be made public through